Re: Intelligence and wisdom

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 14:53:13 MDT

James Higgins wrote:

> Well, I guess that depends upon the topic. When it comes to wisdom in
> regard to human interactions you can learn some by thinking and some by
> reading but most has to be leared by experience.

James, there are one or two things, thankfully not as many as usual,
which reality had to hit me over the head with before I got them - but I
regard that as a personal failing, not a cause to be condescending to
others who haven't been hit over the head the same way. I acknowledge
slowness in acquiring wisdom as a personal failing, rather than
rationalizing it. I acknowledge all kinds of slownesses as personal
failings, which is how I've learned to move quickly. If you think you
have to be hit over the head to learn something, you will be.