Re: Why do we seek to transcend ourselves?

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 02:56:29 MDT

Mike & Donna Deering wrote:
> Evolution is not limited biology. It occurs in any system with certain
> characteristics of complexity. Our drive for greater intelligence
> didn't start with us or even life but was from before the big bang.
> Physicists know that the design of the universe and it's laws were fine
> tuned for the evolution of intelligence. They don't know how, so some
> ascribe it to the anthropic principle, which may explain why we are
> seeing it but it doesn't explain why it's there.

This argument has exceedingly serious flaws. There is no
evidence that is airtight of any such "Intelligent Design". That
this universe (there may be many, many other universe "bubbles")
has fundamental constants and laws allowing for an intelligent
species such as ourselves is a big DUH! If it didn't then we
would be here having this discussion. But that doesn't mean
some Intelligence sat down and decided to make a universe that
would produce precisely us. A perfectly undesigned universe
arising out of random quantum flux and supporting local
complexity leading to life is quite workable as an "explanation" .

> I think a sufficiently intelligent being will look at the universe and
> see that it is not natural but designed for a purpose.

Many very intelligent human beings look at the universe and see
that there is no reason to belief it was designed for a purpose.

- samantha