RE: Intelligence and wisdom

From: Rafal Smigrodzki (rms2g@virginia.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 09:01:42 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

This is an old point, but a weak one, because it doesn't show why a system
can't come *extremely close* to complete self-understanding.

### Now, this comes as a surprise to me - I always thought that it is
extremely difficult if not impossible to build a system capable of fully
monitoring itself in real time (as opposed to being able to analyze its
stored memory states), and I am not referring to the trivial inability to
form a full predictive representation of itself within itself (similar to
the "no homunculus" claim of consciousness research). The AI might have full
access to every single bit of its physical memory, and every layer of
organization all the way to the level of concepts and thoughts but how many
useful predictions (the hallmark of understanding) will it make from such
self-analysis? Will these predictive capabilities be enough to warrant being
called "complete self-understanding".

Rafal