Re: Why do we seek to transcend ourselves?

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 20:48:56 MDT

Gordon Worley <redbird@rbisland.cx> wrote:

> ... Given this tendency, for what reasons is
> transcendence a good idea rather than another irrational thought that we
> are having a hard time seeing around? Or to make the question
> unweighted, why should we transcend or not transcend if we ignore the
> genetic reasons to transcend?

I am not sure what the genetic reasons are to transcend (want to give a
brief list?) but the first non-genetic reason that comes to mind is: to
break through the mental and physical limitations of our current biological
substrate. Limitations like: limited life-span, non-programmable mental
processes (or extremely limited programmability), fixed body/brain plan,
fixed processing speed. Hmm. There is more to say. Its a good question.

Michael Roy Ames.