Re: Why do we seek to transcend ourselves?

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 11:01:29 MDT

Gordon,

I'm still not buying the idea that the quest for eternal life is genetically
inspired. It really wouldn't matter what was driving the human
manifestation before transcendance - whether genes or some other mechanism -
a built-in termination date (death) is a very restrictive limitation on what
a human unit can accomplish. Pushing past a built-in termination date does
not seem to 'come from' genetics, except in the same way that everything we
are 'comes from' genetics.

Michael Roy Ames