RE: Are we Gods yet?

From: lurskalot (lurksalot@netgods.net)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 11:17:20 MDT

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 22:23, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> WE have not achieved a subjective Singularity, in that our subjective
> experiences are not all that qualitatively different from those of the
> ancients. At least that's my guess. WE probably love, hate, battle and
> suffer and exult about the same way...

I don't know about this. It seems to me that a serious argument could
be made that most human experience, for most of human history, has been
adolescent experience. Loving, hating, exulting, all are vastly
different at 30 years of age than at 20. For most of history, though,
human lifespans have been closer to 20 than to 30. From the perspective
of a human chosen from a random selected time we may, indeed, have
transcended.

daniel

--
Clarke's First Law:
When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is