Re: Metarationality (was: JOIN: Alden Streeter)

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 23:37:34 MDT

Cliff Stabbert wrote:

> I think Eliezer is saying that Mind manifests throughout the universe
> -- all complex systems tending towards Mindness over time.

No, that statement would not be rational. I.e., its support would consist
of the pleasure generated by contemplating it, rather than evidence. The
pleasure generated by contemplating it is not "evidence" because we have
no reason to believe that this statement is pleasurable to contemplate
only in those possible universes where it is true. Ergo, under the
Bayesian Probability Theorem, the self-observation of the comfort
generated by this statement is not evidence about the statement's truth or
untruth in external reality.