Re[2]: Metarationality (was: JOIN: Alden Streeter)

From: Cliff Stabbert (cps46@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 01:27:39 MDT

Monday, August 26, 2002, 2:57:40 AM, Ben Goertzel wrote:

>> Which it is why it's so important to realize that verbal thought
>> is verbal thought, intuition is intuition, and that both can be
>> either "rational" or "irrational".

BG> What you're saying is that it's important for everyone to define
BG> terms exactly the way YOU do, instead of the way the dictionary
BG> does.

BG> I think you really push the envelope of the definition of
BG> "rational" by saying that a bird acting on instinct is acting
BG> "rationally"....

BG> I don't dispute your right to use the word that way, but I do
BG> maintain my right NOT to use the word that way...

To connect to an earlier point, *this* is where I can see the benefits
of a Psynese type inter-AI language. In fact, it offers lessons for
human language.

In "disputes" like this -- essentially semantic ones -- I always try
to defuse first the language issues, so that actual differences of
opinion can be crystallized out.

This requires reducing an example such as bird/instinct to "just
the facts, ma'am", then agreeing on *some* sort of descriptive
language (*whose* preferred language does not matter -- you can
choose or invent some nonsense words).

At that point, you can discuss things further without language
differences becoming a barrier.

In inter-Novamente communication, if Novamente and Psynese evolve/are
designed correctly ("Rationally" for certain audience members here --
I'm not overly attached to the terminology), the issue would not even
arise.

--
Cliff