RE: Metarationality (was: JOIN: Alden Streeter)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 08:51:46 MDT

> If you like, consider it a challenge: Name a nonaccidental success, and
> I'll show you how it's rational or why rationality lies beneath
> its surface.

Here is a nonaccidental success:
The composition of the particular melody characterizing the final chorus of
the "Ode to Joy" by Beethoven.

Why was it rational to choose this series of notes rather than another one?

> Incidentally, if Ben succeeds in building an AI and I do not, it
> would not
> be the least bit unusual to suggest that Ben was enormously more rational
> than I,

Or maybe I'll just get lucky ;-D

What if I succeeded, and you did not, largely because I were more
persistent? [Please note: this is just a hypothetical example, I am not
trying to say that you lack persistence in reality.] In your sense, this
persistence (a personality trait) would be an aspect of my rationality,
because it led me to overall effectiveness?

-- Ben G