RE: Metarationality (was: JOIN: Alden Streeter)

From: Rafal Smigrodzki (rms2g@virginia.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 12:21:37 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

I champion conscious reason, but also intuition. I see intuition as
unconscious reason, adept at piecing together a huge number of pieces of
weak evidence in statistical and creative ways. Intuition can do some
things that conscious reason cannot, because of conscious reason's limited
channel capacity. However, human intuition is also inextricably bound up
with human emotion, which is also irrational.

### Your way of seeing the interplay between the explicit reasoning and the
complex, nonverbal reasoning is startlingly similar to ideas advanced by E.
Goldberg in his book on the frontal lobe. Yes, it seems that the two ways of
thinking are subserved by separate hemispheres!

Rafal