RE: Re[4]: Metarationality (was: JOIN: Alden Streeter)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 21:32:10 MDT

> I've seen hallucinogens described as offering a sneak preview of what
> is possible with longer-term, harder work in disciplines such as Yoga
> and meditation.

Yes, the difference is that with hallucinogens one can have deep spiritual
experiences, but they're not fully integrated with the rest of one's being.

I think I'm one among many people who enjoyed hallucinogens for a while,
then decided he'd gotten about all he was going to get out of them....
Integrating the reality-transcending insights of my hallucinogen and
meditation experiences, with my hard-headed realist scientist aspect, has
been a major life challenge for me. I've got to believe this kind of
integration will be way easier for an intelligent AI, with its greater
capability for detailed mental self-analysis and self-modification!!

ben