RE: continuity of self

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 18:59:43 MDT

Michael, I guess this partly comes down to two of the key principles of
Buddhism: non-attachment and compassion

The non-contradictoriness of these two principles has been a big "hump" for
me to get over in my own "psychospiritual/ethical" development.

Non-attachment allows us to look at things objectively and rationally,
rather than getting emotionally caught up in good or bad things that we see.

Compassion causes us to feel the suffering of others, to care about things
that in a shallow view don't affect us directly, due to the deeper
understanding that everything is connected...

To approach the Singularity appropriately, one clearly needs both of these
in abundance.

And I do think that Eliezer has both of these in reasonable quantity. The
particular way in which he mixes them is a little different than how they
are mixed in my own mind, but that's expectable...

-- Ben G