Re[2]: Pre-Singularity human enlightenment

From: Cliff Stabbert (cps46@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 02:41:40 MDT

Monday, September 23, 2002, 2:55:32 AM, Samantha Atkins wrote:

SA> mike99 wrote:
ESY>2: Collaborative filtering and/or the Earthweb; a means whereby
ESY>one good idea can very rapidly spread to billions and be built
ESY>upon by thousands. Accelerated memetic evolution.

m99> I think the Net has already shown us that this is a real
m99> possibility. In order to work effectively though, we probably
m99> need ubiquitous computing, high-bandwidth wireless, and
m99> sufficient security/authentication so that people feel
m99> comfortable with a high degree of intimate real-time
m99> communication.

SA> It can, I believe, work quite effectively long before most of
SA> this is in place. I do agree that security of a kind that is
SA> *not* seen as synonymous with zero privacy would be a very good
SA> thing fo this and other purposes. I don't know that more
SA> ubiquitous computing that a web-app would be absolutely
SA> essential at this point and while high-bandwidth wireless is on
SA> my shopping list for many reasons I don't think it is essential
SA> to an EarthWeb scenario - high bandwidth yes, wireless not
SA> necessarily.

For a while now I've been walking around with half an idea that I wish
I could figure out the second half for.

The concept is roughly this: a collaberatively filtered discussion
where *ideas* trump *people* by somehow having everything anonymous.
A sort of IRC channel or newsgroup without FROM: identifications. And
where *concepts* or posts furthering the discussion constructively
can get "voted up".

As I said, it's only half an idea, and I'm at a loss as to how,
precisely, to get this to work...

--
Cliff