Re: September 11: International Enough Day

From: hook (hookysun@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 04:19:38 MDT

Anand wrote:
> I'm declaring September 11 "International Enough Day." Enough
> flag-waving, enough violence, enough nationalism. Enough already.
> September 11 was not an American tragedy, it was a human tragedy.

I would call it a tragedy throughout Sentience if throughout any kingdom, except
that among humanity roughly 150,000 brains (I don't doubt this estimate) are
irrecoverably lost DAILY.
    For this reason I'd let the date pass without distinction, commemorating
nothing particularly tragic, even if the event in NYC were a lurid spectacle,
except that it also happens to be my 9-year-old daughter's birthday anniversary,
which I celebrate. As for a gift I have procured an ukelele.
    Incidentally, I wish a happy anniversary to Eliezer, as well as to my
daughter.