Re: META: Sept. 11 and Singularity

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 10:36:03 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> But, I know that if I want to impose my own standards on a list, I can
> start my own list, and I don't want to take the time...

And yet for some reason you are subscribed to SL4 and not wta-talk,
Extropians, or any of the other lists out there. Perhaps you believe my
sniper style of moderation has nothing to do with this and interferes with
the better list SL4 would otherwise be; just as conscientous objectors may
genuinely believe that the world would be a better place if their
country's militaries disbanded, and the soldiers of those countries may
respect the concept of satyagraha even if they cannot believe in it
personally. I guess the moral is that it doesn't hurt if some people are
conscientous objectors in the war on idiocy, and it may even be a good
thing, as long as someone is still actually defending the borders.