Re[6]: continuity of self [ was META: Sept. 11 and Singularity]

From: Aaron McBride (amcbride@jps.net)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 10:31:43 MDT

At 03:41 AM 9/17/2002 +1200, you wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>I'm new to the SL4 list, so please, be gentle ;)

Welcome Chris. I'll try.

>I've been lurking for a few days, and feel I have something to contribute
>to the thread...

You might want to lurk a bit longer.

><clip political rant>

We try to keep political rants off of this list. They tend to not be very
productive.

>Currently, this is about as far as I have gone with the concept, as I'm
>now focusing all my efforts into establishing the software company. My
>point is, that there are things we can do today that will 'prepare'
>humanity for the singularity, we just need to be creative, and if necessary

Anyone who thinks humanity can be prepared for the singularity doesn't
understand what singularity means.

>play the game on the level that the greedy, selfish individuals who
>currently hold power (by appealing to the masses own sense of greed to
>create conformity). I believe that "scarcity based" / "zero sum" /
>"selfish" thinking is 90% nurture and 10% nature, here's why:

I suggest you read the Evolutionary Psychology primer
(http://www.psych.ucsb.edu/research/cep/primer.html). Nature vs. nurture
is sillyness.

>http://www.guerrillanews.com/globalization/cointel/567.html
>
>However, the question we should be asking is how long can we continue on
>our current trajectory, and does that leave us with enough time to reach
>the singularity.

There are bigger issues than nuclear exchange to worry about, but I don't
want to get into them here. We probably don't have time for a 100 year
take off though. We may not even have 15 years to wait. (Nobody knows of
course.) It would seem that the only solution is to try to accelerate a
friendly singularity (friendly intentionally not capitalized to denote a
more general case).
-Aaron