RE: Rationality and altered states of consciousness

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 11:12:02 MDT

> There is such a thing as the rational intelligence of a process, which
> is to say how much rationality a process draws upon. Intelligence,
> though, is only one set of processes that is rational. I doubt that you
> would consider evolution to be intelligent in the same way that a human
> is intelligent, but both draw upon rationality in the same way.

I think my definition of intelligence is more general than yours.

I do consider evolution to display intelligence, though a different kind
than human intelligence.

I also consider evolution & human intelligence to draw upon rationality in
different (tho overlapping) ways.

However, I don't think it's important that the two of us define all these
terms in exactly the same ways, just that we're clear about the definitions
that we individually use.

I now see a lot more harmony between our differing definitions of these
things than I did a month ago.

-- Ben G