RE: Exponential advancement of software

From: Alexander E. Richter (arichter@bubis.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 13:38:41 MDT

At 12:54 17.09.02 -0600, you wrote:
>Assembling and tuning and tweaking the right narrow-AI modules is hard,
>because you find that the narrow-AI algorithms & data structures others have
>created are never *quite* right for integration with other narrow-AI
>algorithms & data structures....

After reading the book "Phantoms in the brain. Probing the Mysteries of the
Human Mind, V.S. Ramachandran" i was perplexed how bad the brain modules
are integrated and how many specialized/narrow modules are inside our brains.

>Regarding making money, that is a whole different issue. History shows that
>profitability is not well correlated with technical innovation anyway --

right

>except in certain particular types of market situation.... The
>chatterbot/QA/eCRM space may or may not be one of these special market
>situations. Remember Artificial Life Inc., which had very innovative
>narrow-AI-based chatterbot tech aimed at the CRM space, and went under about
>9 months ago? A cautionary tale, at least...

We have a large user-base (1+ MUser), we spend no money for ads we put this
money into useful free addons, this gives us new customers and more money.
Its more a symbiotic or parasitic approach. To start a new AI-project from
scratch is a suizide, you'll burn to much money to fast. The AI-Baby needs
food (aka money) to grow. If you start with a fat and hungry AI-Baby, it
will die sooner or later.

btw, our project is much fun, some users want to pay to work for us. Its
like painting Aunt Polly's fence. Nice offer, but coordinating distributed
development is suizide too.

cu Alex