RE: Miller's The Mating Mind

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 15:54:29 MDT

Eliezer wrote:
> > In any case, I would advise against thinking in terms of deep pocket
> > donors, and suggest that you think in terms of building a Singularity
> > movement. The things you'd do to build a Singularity movement are, in
> > fact, the same things that would result in people in categories
> > (1) or (2)
> > hearing about us. And as a mode of thinking, it lends itself to
> > going out
> > and building, rather than eternally waiting for a killer strike.

Yes, this is precisely the answer I expected. But I wanted it said by you,
not by me.

I spread the meme to friends and students and people I meet on the Net. None
of them (so far) has big money to donate, but some of them are developing
the skills needed to help create the prerequisites for the Singularity.

Ben wrote:
> I fully agree with Eliezer here.
>
> I would add that what will change "interested potential donors"
> into "actual
> check-writing donors" is likely to be one of:
>
> A) demonstrable achievements, showing that the organization in question is
> really doing something moving toward the Singularity
> or
> B) greater popular acceptance of the Singularity notion (so the
> donor won't
> feel like as much of an ass when he tells his friends and
> neighbors where he
> donated his money)
> In spite of the quibbles some of us have with Kurzweil's take on the
> Singularity, I think it's very clear that his forthcoming book on
> the topic
> will be helpful with B).

I agree. Mr. K is the only Singularitarian I know who gets invited by TIME
to join their tech panels and speak his mind in print to an audience of
millions.

Michael LaTorra