Re: Time travel-->fast algorithms-->Singularity??

From: Tomaz Kristan (me2icq@icqmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 02:28:53 MST

On Sun, 27 October 2002, Cole Kitchen wrote:

> "A computer which has access to a closed timelike curve, and can thereby
> send the results of calculations into its own past, can exploit this to
> solve difficult computational problems efficiently.

This algorithm would imply information out of nothing. Or out of this world, at least. Unlimited data compress ratio, would be easy to reach.

Imagine, that I will have a magic stick tomorrow. First, I will make sure (using it), that I had it yesterday, already. But still, I don't have one. This little trick doesn't work.

Well, it may not be the same. Maybe a TimeRegister is possible after all - but I doubt - and we can do this. In that case, we would surelly do something better, than dividing numbers, before the FINAL label.

If it IS possible, the Singularity will be here in a few years.

- Thomas