AGI funding (was Re: Some bad news)

From: Cliff Stabbert (cps46@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 23:14:43 MST

Wednesday, November 6, 2002, 10:14:28 PM, Ben Goertzel wrote:

BG> The US gov't will put $37 billion into antibiowarfare in 2003, but
BG> essentially $0 into AGI.

<tinfoil>As far as we know.</tinfoil>

BG> Any creative, off-the-wall ideas about how to turn the general funding
BG> situation around?

Novamente + Petz + AIBO = Do Androids Play Fetch With Robotic Dogs?

Novamente + Chatbot + voice synthesis + Dean Kamen + RealDoll =
$tepford Wife?

"Exclusive Upload Priority Tickets, only $10M each! Be One of the
First to the New Universe!" -- they sell moon acreage, don't they?

A $10 per ticket You Get To Be God lottery (easier to make money off
the less intelligent/wealthy many -- they needn't know everybody ends
up winning...)?

Sorry, none of these are general funding ideas, nor (fully) serious.

The "general" solution would seem to be getting people educated about
the benefits an AGI would offer -- I don't think there's much uncovered
ground there. And to add a pessimistic note, even those things "most
people" currently agree would be good to see funded don't get funded,
in any case...

Maybe presentation is key. Picture a professional, slick ad campaign.

  DRAMATIC VOICEOVER describes the events of an item from comp.risks,
  visuals as appropriate -- a shot of the programmer going matrixy as
  he makes the Crucial Mistake, followed by a shot of the shuttle
  blowing up/all traffic lights on green/heart monitor failing.

  "The Fund for AGI. Because computers *are* too dumb to afford."

Ehm, the slogan would need a lot of work..."Because the computer
*isn't* always right", "Because Artificial Stupidity costs lives"...

--
Cliff