Re: Finding new support for SIAI Research Fellowship

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 10:05:01 MST

Like many folks on these lists, I have little money. I'd love to be
making even $24,000 a year. Luckily, I'm a student and it's easy for
me to live cheaply, but I know out in the real world it costs a little
more to survive. I have recently started giving SIAI quarterly
donations of whatever I can. Last time I held a Guess Eliezer's Age
Contest and sent $14. This may not seem like a lot, and in fact it's
not. But, consider the following: Eliezer currently lives on an
average of $500 a week (that may seem like a lot for weekly expenses,
but that's just the average; I'm sure recurring expenses are less than
this). If many of us got together, by send $20 each, we can pay for
Eliezer to push forward the Singularity for a week with only 25 people.
  One-hundred of us can cover his expenses for a month. If we were each
giving this money quarterly, that's only 300 people who need to send
$20. And, this is only if we were all poor college students: some
people can send more to help out. Moral of the story, if you like what
Eliezer is doing and would like to see him continue to do it, consider
sending any loose change that you might have to fund the Research
Fellowship. I can't do it alone, but together we can.

(If you send money, be sure to note that's it's to pay for the Research
Fellowship; if you don't it will go into the SIAI general fund and
Eliezer will still have to go find a job).

--
Gordon Worley                          "Man will become better when
http://www.rbisland.cx/                 you show him what he is like."