Re: AGI funding (was Re: Some bad news)

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 17:35:34 MST

On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 13:21, Slawomir Paliwoda wrote:

> Also, what I think needs to happen here is for as many potential individual
> donors as possible to become aware of the Singularity and SIAI's research. I
> mean all people with, let's say, more than a 1M$ in the bank. I don't think
> it's time to be picky and rely exclusively on the residents of Silicon
> Valley to provide the funding.

Silicon Valley is often brought in to the picture strictly as a
pragmatic issue. It is hard to think of another region of similar size
with the density of technologically savvy millionaires that you'll find
there. In theory this should give you better odds.

That said, there are plenty of other regions that offer reasonable odds
of finding tech savvy funding. Seattle, Austin, Lake Tahoe, etc. In
truth, wherever you local stomping grounds are offer some of the best
chances at funding. People don't like to fund people from far away
cities who they don't know anything about; having a good reputation in
the locale where you are looking for money helps a lot.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com