RE: AGI funding (was Re: Some bad news)

From: Rafal Smigrodzki (rms2g@virginia.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 09:48:23 MST

Ben wrote:

> The compensating factor is that the Novamente-based commercial
> projects are also really interesting, though not as important in a
> grand sense as AGI. (Our largest project, Biomind, involves applying
> Novamente to analyze genetic and proteomic data.)

### How much of a difference, conceptually, is there between Biomind and
AGI? The structure of data in gene banks is IMO remarkably similar in terms
of its messiness and multidimensionality (expression, structure, sequence,
refs to research on function and clinical outcomes) to the kind of data an
AGI would need to analyze while trying to understand the world. I realize
that many features that are analogous to human personality (rather than
cognition), the goal system, would be absent from a narrow AI, but still I
feel you should be able to get a lot of AGI mileage from Biomind. Am I
right?

Rafal