RE: early AGI apps

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 09:46:14 MST

Reason,

Your intuition is dead-on.

A friend of mine who is a former gaming industry executive, has been talking
about starting a company creating a generic AI-for-gaming toolkit.

However, I don't think this will involve anything terribly AGI-ish for
starters. The problem is that most games require AI components to run on
individual PC's under conditions where most processing power is being used
for graphics. So simple, specialized algorithms are going to be the ticket,
at least initially.

I do see an opportunity for a distributed multiplaywer game, a la Everquest
or Starcraft, to involve one or more AGI's running on dedicated clusters.
This would have to be a project bankrolled by a major gaming company
though... it would be expensive to produce maintain compared to offering a
simple computer game.

-- Ben