RE: AGI funding (was Re: Some bad news)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 17:23:31 MST

Slawek,

I agree with the basic PR approach you describe, but I'm afraid you
underestimate the amount of effort required to make a PR effort like the one
you describe actually work

I have an acquaintance who's a PR agent, and he basically does what you
describe. What he has that you and I don't, however, is

1) A better understanding of how to phrase things so as to interest media
people, who get WAY more story suggestions each day than they can possibly
act on. Instead of one blurb on an idea, he'll create dozens of blurbs,
phrased specifically for different media people, based on his knowledge of
their different psychologies and interests.

2) Most importantly by far: **An outstanding network of media contacts.**
He knows a huge number of reporters and editors and producers personally.
So when he has an idea he wants to publicize, he creats spiffy little
descriptions of his idea, and sends them to his contacts. They know he's
suggested good stuff to them before, so they read his stuff, unlike most of
the things people send their way.

Without this kind of understanding and Rolodex, sending out press releases
at random is like sending unsolicited music tapes to music companies, or
unsolicited fiction manuscripts to book publishers. It's hard to be heard
among all the noise out there.

Unfortunately, this particular PR guy I know charges $20K/month minimum, and
I don't think he'll work for the Singularity or AGI for free...

Among other campaigns, this guy did the PR campaign for the Republic of
Sealand (a bunch of freaks who took over an abandoned oil platform in the
North Sea, declared it their own country, and started a data haven there).
Among other things, he got them a cover story on Wired... which brought
their data haven fuckloads of business...

-- Ben G