Re[2]: early AGI apps

From: Cliff Stabbert (cps46@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 18:16:06 MST

Saturday, November 9, 2002, 12:54:31 AM, Reason wrote:

R> The military and the gaming industry (and the military gaming industry) are
R> ripe for something that commoditizes AI in the game sense. By this I mean
R> customizable, highly abstracted decision making and knowledge
R> representation/processing tools. Everything is roll-your-own, which is an
R> insane state of affairs if you stop to look at it. Let's take the gaming
R> industry: as much effort goes into AI (human simulation, essentially) in
R> your average game as goes into the 3D engine. 3D engines are commoditized,
going for $50k ->> $300k per game license. The space is competitive. Why are
R> people still building their own AI (human simulation) code from scratch each
R> time? It's certainly not anything to do with complexity or level of
R> customization required...

As far as gaming goes this is not really accurate. The AI is very
limited, mainly because of processing time constraints, it is very
gametype- and engine-specific (different for RTSs, FPSs, etc.) and it
is not being built from scratch each time: with Unreal's UT2K3 engine, for
instance, licensees get the AI code right along with the 3D engine
code. A general "human simulation" package would at this point be far
too costly to run, resource-wise.

--
Cliff