Re: AGI funding (was Re: Some bad news)

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 03:21:10 MST

Gary Miller wrote:

>I am fairly new to the list, but I have been working on Friendly AI for
>many years. I hate to see the same money problems here that I have been
>watching over the last several months in the Alice foundation.
>
>I think you are on the right track to fund raising on this thread
>though.
>
>Donors need to feel involved in the project. There needs to be a shared
>sense of accomplishment and accountability in terms of what's being
>done.

I think the above needs to be delimited carefully. Funding sources that
want to feel a shared sense of accomplishment and accountability can all
too easily leading to funding sources that seek to control the project.
  This usually leads to stultification and death of innovation.

>I would be less interested in seeing a blog than seeing a well
>maintained project plan in enough detail to show me that the research
>plan is in fact concrete enough that it can be broken into definable
>steps with periodic milestones.

Great. Bog down AI researchers in Microsoft Project plans and in some
basically unowrkable software development model. No thanks. Been there
and done that too many times and in much more mundane projects. It
sort of works at some lite level but when overdone it results in a
growing bureaucracy and very little of any real worth.

- samantha