Re: AGI funding (was Re: Some bad news)

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 06:49:14 MST

On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 11:59 AM, Gordon Worley wrote:

> On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 09:37 AM, Ben Goertzel wrote:
>
>> Just as getting people to pay for Third World children is easier if
>> it's set
>> up so that each person is sponsoring *one particular* child, who they
>> can
>> get a letter from every year.
>>
>> I wonder if they're a good way to "personalize" peoples' connections
>> with
>> AGI, in a similar way. We can't have each person sponsor their own
>> AGI, of
>> course -- that will be reserved for the *really big* donations ;-p
>
> Rather than funding a particular AGI, donations could be made to a
> particular researcher (since Eliezer isn't the only person who would
> do things for the Singularity full time if they could afford to). In
> return, that researcher sets up a blog that they update everyday to
> let it be known what they did. Even if there's no interesting
> research to report, they might just write up some interesting personal
> anecdote for the day. Many people like that kind of personal
> connection with another person and they could see that their money is
> going somewhere, even if it's just to get a couple of paragraphs of
> quickly written prose from one of the more interesting people on the
> planet.

Re this idea, I've set up a blog in an experiment to see if this system
might work. I realize that many of the conditions do not exist in my
experiment that would if Eliezer were doing it, but I think it's close
enough that we can get an idea of how it might work. Feedback is
welcome (I'm in #sl4 on IRC a lot; you might want to take that there or
to personal e-mail unless you think it's up to list standards).

http://homepage.mac.com/redbird/iBlog/

--
Gordon Worley                          "Man will become better when
http://www.rbisland.cx/                 you show him what he is like."