RE: Best locations for the Singularity Institute

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 11:07:01 MST

Hi,

Good news about the Sacramento sanctuary ;)

If I had an extra room in the house I would've offered it to you.... You're
always welcome to come stay with us (I'm now living in the DC metro area),
but we don't have an extra bedroom, and the three kids & three dogs tend to
cause a lot of commotion.

About the ideal location for SIAI. As you note at the end of your message,
the ideal location depends on the funding situation. I've often thought
about similar questions regarding the ideal location for a AGI research
institute.

For a research institute with a generous endowment, the ideal location is
somewhere away from major urban areas, where people can live and work
comfortably, reasonably inexpensively, and uninterruptably. You just
don't want to go *too* far out in the boondocks or stuff like computer
supplies become annoying to obtain, and you lose hi-bandwidth internet
connectivity.

New Mexico where I was living until recently fit that description pretty
well.

Plenty of places in Australia fit the description well too, e.g. Western
Australia where I lived for a while. The downside of Oz however is that
real-time F2F interaction with outside intellectuals & scientists is harder.
It's a loooong flight back to the Us or Europe for a conference. So all in
all I'd vote for non-urban US, probably out West.

On the other hand, for an organization that needs to fundraise aggressively
to survive, it's important to be in an area near a good population of
donors. Because many donors prefer donating to local organizations. Near
Silicon Valley, New York, Boston or DC work for this purpose. (Or major
European cities.)

Yet you don't want to be too close to a big city because then it's so
expensive for your staff to live... plus a lot of time is wasted in big-city
commuting chaos.

So in this scenario, one arrives at the unexciting idea of locating in an
exurb of a major tech-hub city.

Sacramento seems to come close to this description, though I think it's a
bit too urban to be ideal. There are places within 30 miles of Sacramento
that would seem to me close to optimal.

-- Ben