Re: What if the Singularity has already happened?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 20:08:57 MST

Dan McGuirk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First time posting here, and I had a question. Maybe you've already
> discussed it.
>
> The question is: what if the Singularity has already happened? How
> would you tell? Maybe individual sentient beings are being uplifted
> right now, and wherever you are is as far "up" as you've allowed
> yourself to go.

I know that no Singularity corresponding to either my intuitive or my
philosophical conceptions of morality has altered my existence, because I
would not choose to stay the way I am now. If you really *would* choose
to stay the way you are now, then yes, the bizarre failure of AI to get
anywhere over the past fifty years becomes a little bit suspicious.