Re: What if the Singularity has already happened?

From: Dan McGuirk (mcguirk@indirect.com)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 20:41:34 MST

On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 08:08 PM, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> Dan McGuirk wrote:
>> Hi,
>> First time posting here, and I had a question. Maybe you've already
>> discussed it.
>> The question is: what if the Singularity has already happened? How
>> would you tell? Maybe individual sentient beings are being uplifted
>> right now, and wherever you are is as far "up" as you've allowed
>> yourself to go.
>
> I know that no Singularity corresponding to either my intuitive or my
> philosophical conceptions of morality has altered my existence,
> because I would not choose to stay the way I am now.

Maybe you haven't opened all of the "existence-altering" doorways. For
example, you could try:
        -- meditation
        -- falling in love
        -- writing poetry
        -- doing drugs
        -- skydiving

Basically, anything that produces an experience well outside of what's
normal for you-- ideally an intensely emotional one.

If you keep opening lots and lots of doors, with a strong intent to get
to a certain reality, maybe you'll find it.

(Not that you can't find it by following the path you're on, mind you.
But the one you have your heart set on isn't always the most direct
route.)