Re: Defining Right and Wrong

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 16:34:23 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

>This much is straightforward. Because the goal is given, and one is then
>asking how well the goal is achieved by a given system.
>
>The difficulty comes in comparing various goals against one another. I.e.,
>the hard part is choosing a goal!
>
>For example is
>
>A = "increase the quantity and quality of sentience in this Galaxy."
>
>a better goal than
>
>B = "increase in complexity of the universe."
>
>Or, is
>
>.5 * A + .5*B
>
>better than
>
>.3 * A + .7 * B

Which do you believe is most important to your life and well-being and
to that of other sentients you care about? There is no other criteria.
 You choose. If you haven't decided life and well-being etc is
important then deciding what is important to you is the first order of
business. But I doubt we get anywhere floating around as if we were
abstract disembodied clusters of thoughts and thus have no context for
deciding.

- samantha