RE: Reality Theory

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 19:37:43 MST

Mitch's post (excerpted below), together with his earlier response on this
topical thread, point to the key reason, IMO, why materialism is essential
to any realistic worldview. I would put it this way:

   No software without hardware.

I think many people, especially intellectuals, can be seduced by the meme of
idealism. The idealist (or Platonic) concept that information (or Forms)
precede material manifestation is very attractive to people whose lives
revolve around theorizing, computation, and programming. Many philosophers,
mathematicians and logicians succumb to this point of view (Raymond Smullyan
and Saul Kripke, for instance). Some physicists do, too (e.g., Frank
Tipler).

Life, the universe and everything may be implementable on a variety of
different material platforms under a range of different physical parameters.
But they cannot be implemented without SOME material platform. The lowest
level of implementation of any computational system (Turing-Church
finite-state machine) must be material. At the bottom of any chain of
systems emulating other systems is a fundamental physical platform that is
independent of anything else.

So, to borrow and modify an old analogy: It's turtles **almost** all the way
down, but at bottom it's physics.

Regards,
Michael LaTorra