Re: The ethics of prediction

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 20:37:56 MST

Dear Chris,

You wrote:

> If [human] prediction is based on simulation, at what
> level of detail does it cross an ethical line?

I would say that the ethical line will be identical to the sentient
line, and that line will be quite blurred. There seems to be no
collection of attributes with which we can describe a system, so that
the values of these attributes produce a crisp delineation between
sentient, and not. The human species itself holds a very wide range
of example attribute sets, from vegetative state thru creative
genius. I, personally, would err on the side of caution when
producing a detailed simulation, max-ing out well below the 'fuzzy'
definition of sentience. I would expect a Friendly AI to do the
same.

> Has this issue been discussed here before?

Yes.

Michael Roy Ames