The SSSM revisited

From: Emil Gilliam (emil@emilgilliam.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 19:33:51 MST

Here is a scan of two pages from "The Mind", a volume from the Life Science
Library, published in 1964 by Time-Life Books:

 http://homepage.mac.com/gilliame/.cv/gilliame/Public/sssm.gif-link.gif

I know of no better example of what we now call the Standard Social Sciences
Model (SSSM). From our modern-day perspective of evolutionary psychology, it
seems utterly ridiculous -- did man really lose its "instincts" a long time
ago, and gain "learning" and "reasoning" in return (whatever those are), as
shown on a neat graph? But in 1964 this truism was a firmament of
intellectual life (and it still is in some circles). A nice sober reminder
of how times change...

 - Emil