Re: Uploading with current technology

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 14:42:33 MST

Ben,

My BS detector got loud at: "The first operation only interfaces with
one
brain function, e.g. control of your right arm.".

Then I went 'tilt' at: "...and 'wet' neurons are gradually removed."

We don't know how to do these things. Sure, we might currently be
able to identify the particular nerve-bundles that operate a person's
right arm and monitor them, but there is a lot more to controlling
your right arm than just the nerve bundles and the signals that get
passed along them. A *lot* more. Creating a right-arm-signaling
model based on this monitoring is, IMO, plausible. But that model
would bear little relationship to the existing wetware functionality,
in its myriad connections to everything else. The brain/mind is not
solely described by its I/O. There is a lot going on in my brain
that never produces more than a raised eye-brow or two.

It's not worth the time to read.

Michael Roy Ames