RE: Uploading with current technology (Sorry Off topic)

From: Gary Miller (garymiller@starband.net)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 12:15:48 MST

Bill and my apologies to the mailing list for being off-topic...

On December 9th you said:

"Bill Gates may not be all that altruistic. Perhaps he is trying to
counteract the bad publicity of the M$ antitrust case. His anti-AIDS
campaign is wonderful, but it is interesting that it is targeted at
India where there are many talented programmers, rather than Africa
where there are not so many programmers."

I can appreciate your cynicism in this day and age. But since it's
inception in 1994 the Bill and Melissa Gates foundation is responsible
for over 2.5 billion in global health program grants! Even based on
stock values before the economic downturn this is a sizable percentage
of his total net worth! Show me what the next 5 richest people in the
world have given back to the world in this same time period!

Infectious Disease and Vaccines $1,342,508,667
Reproductive and Health Care $589,170,701
HIV/AIDS and TB $538,543,383
Other $40,307,826
Emergency Relief $10,350,000
Total $2,520,880,577

The choice of of India over Africa or any other country was I'm sure
complex. When you give money away you have to make sure that the
country or program accepting is going to make maximal usage of the money
with a minimum diverted to arms, corrupt government, etc... You also
have to look at the other disease and starvation rates to insure you are
not just prolonging the misery to a population who is being ravaged by
other problems which are beyond the scope of what you are capable of
doing.

I know we in America like to root for the underdog and pick apart the
biggest and the richest. Perhaps from jealousy or perhaps it's just our
nature. Our children at the same time idolize sports heroes, rap and
rock stars, and movie stars who sometimes go out of their way to
glamorize hard drugs, violence, and self-loathing. Wouldn't it be
better if they emulated someone who was successful beyond belief and
gave something back to the world.

Yes OpenSource softwarre is free to the world but it will never
vaccinate one child, or save one family from watching their children
die. It may not be that farfetched that the next time you tell someone
that Microsoft is stealing their money and to use LINUX instead some
child may go unvaccinated somewhere in the world. I may be in denial
but everytime I send money to Microsoft I try to believe that a part of
that money goes to help someone somewhere in the world.