RE: Uploading with current technology

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 19:58:48 MST

> Ben,
>
> Good argument. Unfortunately, nobody is aiming their AIs at the
> full range
> of the attributes you have defined.

Actually, my Novamente project (www.realai.net) *is* aiming at all these
things.

However, we aim to attack them gradually, not all at once ;)

We're crazy, but not *that* crazy ;)

> Also, there would be a significant
> dispute as to whether your defined attributes are meaningful.

If I wanted to take the time to do so, I could specify each one of them with
the precision typical of contemporary legal documents.

Whether you would consider that "meaningful" or not, I don't know.

> Augment you or me with technology, and there is no dispute. We
> each go our
> own way. A marketplace of ability.

Augmentation of humans with technology is a great idea too. I suspect that
the growth curve of AI will significantly overtake that of human
augmentation after a certain point ... arguments in favor of this
perspective have been made on this list repeatedly in the past.

Time will tell !!

-- Ben