RE: Chess and Go study

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 14:36:59 MST

Arona,

What you have to understand is that there are a lot of different states of
consciousness...

What we think of as "ordinary waking consciousness" is more diverse than is
ordinarily accepted. But beyond that, there is a huge variety of states of
consciousness, which modern psychological science has done a very poor job
of exploring. Buddhist psychology and other non-Western approaches to the
mind have done a somewhat better job, but their analyses are often
"corrupted" by being oriented toward the exaltation of one or another state
of consciousness as "superior" (and their analyses are often quite hard to
understand for reasons of cultural difference).

LSD is a very flexible psychoactive agent, and can lead to a lot of
different states of consciousness.... But LSD trips do not tend to lend
themselves to concentrated coherent creative activity, though they may more
likely be helpful in laying the unconscious groundwork for future such
activity.

The "flow" states that we're talking about are in some ways closer to
LSD-trip states, and in some ways closer to variants of the ordinary waking
state that involve concentrated attention. You could think about flow,
LSD-trip, and ordinary concentration as being on three vertices of a
triangle in "state of consciousness space."

"Enlightenment" is surely yet another state of consciousness ... or,
presumably, a collection of states of consciousness. Perhaps the
"enlightenment" state of consciousness brought about via Buddhist meditation
is actually different in many ways from the "enlightenment" state brought
about through shamanic practice ... etc.

Naturally, a nonhuman mind will have access to different states of
consciousness than we will. And thru self-modification it will be able to
create fundamentally new states of consciousness with a lot more fluidity
than we can, with our fixed neural architecture.

As for whether Eliezer is in a permanently enlightened, flow or
LSD-trip-like state of consciousness -- I'm not in his head, but even so I
have to admit I laughed a bit when i read this. Having met Eliezer a couple
times in person, I did not get that impression!! However, I am sure his
"normal" state of consciousness has its own special flavor, and perhaps that
flavor is a little further away from the "human centroid state of
consciousness" than most...

I find that English has almost no words or phrases to describe various
states of consciousness & their qualities. For example, my state of
consciousness during the last 2 months is quite different than it ever was
before -- and I know exactly how, internally -- but to sum up the change
I've undergone in words, would require writing an essay, not a sentence (and
I don't intend to write that essay right now... )

-- Ben G