META: Emil Gilliam appointed List Sniper

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 00:31:21 MST

We all knew it would happen eventually...

I have to operate in complex social situations and can no longer really
moderate the SL4 list as it needs to be moderated, for fear of ticking off
someone whom I need to cooperate with on other Singularity issues. To
maintain a quality list, there has to be someone whose job it is not to
care about being hated, to blunder with deliberate clumsiness through
whatever delicate political balance exists and strike down those posts
that seem vaguely annoying or low-quality, but that present no obvious
excuse for action. I am now appointing Emil Gilliam to the position of
List Sniper for SL4. His mandate will be to use his absolute dictatorial
powers to strike down whatever gets on his personal nerves. Please note
that I disclaim all responsibility for Emil Gilliam's actions - having
granted this authority, I do not intend to administer any kind of
oversight over its exercise. Emil's primary qualification is that he is,
like myself, easily annoyed. There has to be at least *one* totally
unrestrained, easily annoyed person to handle quality control, or a
mailing list is doomed, and unfortunately I can no longer be that person.