Re: Chess and Go study

From: Rafal M. Smigrodzki (rms2g@unix.mail.virginia.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 11:24:34 MST

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> But the reporter doesn't know that. I think it's possible to tell, from
> the reporter's article, that someone did an investigation involving the
> g-factor, chess and Go, and (possibly) some kind of neuroimaging, and that
> the result of this investigation was that the researchers didn't find a
> correlation they expected to find. I've never heard of a link between
> g-factor and the activation of specific brain areas under functional
> neuroimaging, and it's hard to see what kind of link could possibly be
> established.

### About two years go there was article in Sciece, showing very
specific activation in
the anterior cingulate cortex and in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in
tasks highly dependent on the g-factor. This indicates that these two
areas could be responsible for at least a part of the variane of g in the
general population.

Rafal