Re: Another Take on the Fermi Paradox

From: Mark Waser (mwaser@booksintl.com)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 07:24:17 MST

Brian Atkins wrote:
> Does anyone know of any good rebuttals to the "where are the Von Neumann
Probes?" quandary?

My take on it is that they are here but they are sufficiently advanced that
they remain successfully hidden from us.

If I'm a hyper-advanced intelligence, I'm not sure that I see the benefit to
you of letting you know about my presence and I do see a lot of downsides
for us both (all sort of psychological disadvantages for you, reduction of
diversity and explored potential space for me). This isn't to say that I
might not intercede in various ways, just that I probably wouldn't let you
know about it