RE: Another Take on the Fermi Paradox

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 16:32:56 MST

> On Dec 24th Ben said:
>
> >When a species achieves technology, it rapidly either
> >
> >a) self-destructs, or
> >
> >b) pulls an Honest-Annie type transcension
>
> What about the Roddenberry's Star Trek scenario? Upon attaining
> technology the civilization is inducted into a galactic federation who
> has a non-interference directive in place to avoid tampering with
> adolescent cultures not yet ready for first contact. Earth sociologists
> already have many documented cases of how modern civilization coming
> into contact with primitive tribes has destroyed their culture.

I think this is a plausible possibility too.

But the morality of noninterference is questionable, in the case of
civilizations (like ours) at the point where self-destruction is a likely
outcome.

I'd hope that a civilization close enough to our level to *bother to
intentionally ignore us* would have the morality to interfere when our
self-destruction seemed imminent.

Of course, maybe that *will* happen. Perhaps on the eve of destruction the
watchers will break their silence and intercede...

[Tasty mayonnaise, yumm yumm..]

-- Ben G