Re: Another Take on the Fermi Paradox

From: Christian Weisgerber (naddy@mips.inka.de)
Date: Wed Dec 25 2002 - 07:43:32 MST

Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:

> > Unless they are sessile, this implies that they also know some
> > physics that we don't know.
>
> It would be very surprising if a superintelligent being did not know some
> physics that we don't know.

Oh, I agree. But we have no idea what that physics might be, we
cannot predict it, we cannot speculate about it. Just because
having, say, reactionless drives would be nifty doesn't mean that
there must be undiscovered physics to allow it. And once you
actually introduce new physics, all bets are off and speculation
becomes arbitrary.