RE: Another Take on the Fermi Paradox

From: Gary Miller (garymiller@starband.net)
Date: Wed Dec 25 2002 - 16:19:19 MST

>> So why don't we see them going about their interstellar business? No
stellar
>> engineering, Dyson shells, or spaceships crisscrossing between stars.
Astronomers
>> may not exactly be looking for this, but if there was much going on,
somebody would
>> have noticed by now, I guess.

I would suppose that Federation regulations would only authorize
scientific missions to planets possessing out technology level that
utilized some type of stealth technology to enter our system.

I imagine our present day stealth aircraft would have sounded pretty far
fetched to scientists even 20 or 30 years ago. If a ship's surface was
capable of absorbing all energy wavelengths photons, microwaves, etc...
and reflecting none back then they are for all intents and purposes
invisible.

The other possibility is that they no longer have a need to traverse
normal physical space and are capable of simply punching holes in space
time and re-emerging at a different point.