Re: "and then a singularity happens"

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 19:36:50 MST

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 05:34:10PM -0800, Anton Sherwood wrote:
> So you've taken that first step on the way to Jupiter Brain status:
> you've converted your brain to software or nano-neurons, or perhaps
> merely transferred it to a bigger `skull' (vat?) with room to grow.

I, personally, think the latter is, at best, a very poor way to
transcend.

> Er, what next?
[snip]

> Do you add neurons at random, hoping that they'll arrange themselves
> usefully without costing too much in noise?

Yes, probably. If you can make software copies of yourself and
evaluate them for increased intelligence, why not?

If it was me, I'd make software copies of myself and start modelling the
way information flowed, trying to find improvements.

This is why I think that transferring to a more spacious, but
non-instantly-reprogrammable, substrate ('bigger skull') is not the
right way to go: too hard.

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/    ***    I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u jmaji le plibu taxfu