RE: Coding from Scratch: Jaron Lanier

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 13:22:13 MST

> Ben,
>
> Supercompilation is very interesting, but I don't see how it would solve
> even one, single bug. The bugs would still be there, they would just
> execute faster.

Because if you know you're going to use the supercompiler to transform your
code into efficient code, you can write MUCH SIMPLER CODE with a focus on
maintainability and easy debuggability, rather than thinking about
efficiency AT ALL.

We don't code for debuggability now, but with a supercompiler we could do
so.

I didn't say this before, but it's also true that the supercompiler could be
used as a powerful debugger...

-- Ben