Re: Infinite universe

From: Simon Gordon (sim_dizzy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 26 2003 - 14:56:57 MDT

 --- Tomaz Kristan <me2icq@icqmail.com> wrote:

> Then, are there countably many Universes?
> Uncountably
> Infinite? Continuum many? Aleph No. 992399 for
> example?
>
> A transaleph number of them?
>
> A transconstructible number of them?
>
> I am sceptic as hell.
>
> - Thomas

In terms of pure set theory, every set is the
equivalent of a universe equally a universe can be
regarded as a pure set. A universe like our own for
example contains both the specification of the laws of
physics and the intial conditions, this is sufficient
information to specify the entire spacetime.

So how many universes are there in the whole
metaverse? This is the same as asking how many sets
are there in existance. So the number of universes is
not just infinite in a transaleph sense it is
"absolutely infinite" (whatever that may mean). Does
this lead us to russelian paradox? Yes it almost
certainly does. But isnt there always a paradox at the
heart of everything?

Simon.

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience