RE: Infinite universe

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 10:26:14 MDT

> Denying that the otherworldly/imaginary universes
> exist is like saying that any of the universe beyond
> your own lightcone does not exist, confining existance
> to only that which can affect you in a real way.

Well, I think that this restrictive notion of existence is important,
whether we use the word "existence" for it or not.

>From the point of view of any entity A, we should be able to talk about
existence from the perspective of A, existence(A), as meaning the set of
entities which can potentially have an effect on A.

>From any given entity A's point of view, whether there is an existence
beyond existence(A) is an unempirical, unscientific question.... Which
doesn't necessarily mean it's an uninteresting or unproductive question:
empirics and science are not all there are...

-- Ben G